Wellington September 23rd
How to have a great weekend with your tour guide Rachel.
I’m so excited that this year’s Awards will be held in my home city of Wellington. I thought I would take this opportunity to give you the details about the awards function and how to have the most amazing weekend in Wellington.
The awards night will be held at Te Papa, such a special venue, and very fitting for the first BeautyNZ Association Awards. The Red Carpet Event will be a glamorous event, attendees will walk the Red Carpet while being interviewed (think “E” style interviewing) and photographed. A three course dinner, drinks and entertainment will provide a not-to-be-missed evening. There is even an award for best dressed; this is the event you have been waiting for to look your absolute best. The AGM breakfast will also be held at Te Papa on Sunday morning.
This year’s function falls over the same weekend as the amazing World of Wearable Art Awards. We thought this was a great opportunity for members to have a pretty special weekend away in Wellington. The World of Wearable Art tickets are currently on sale. The special Awards night of WOW is on Friday 22nd, plus a 5pm show on Sunday 24th.
Due to a few events throughout Wellington accommodation will need to be sorted in advance. The executive committee is staying at the Astelia Hotel. For total luxury, check out the Museum Hotel (very close to Te Papa). Other hotels close to Te Papa include West Plaza and Amora. For the budget conscious, check out the Abel Tasman, Mercure, Ibis, James Cook or many of the motels slightly out of the CBD.
While in Wellington there are a few “Must Do’s”…
- Spend some time at Te Papa, apart from the Awards function and the AGM Breakfast being at Te Papa, it is such an amazing place to spend time. There are always new exhibitions to view ¬– spend a day there just soaking up the culture.
- Wellington Cable Car – take the Cable Car up to the Wellington Botanical Gardens for one of the best views of the City.
- Weta Cave – are you a movie buff? Check out the amazing Weta Cave in Miramar, a great opportunity to see how movies in NZ have been made and your opportunity to pick up some great memorabilia
- Shops, shops, shops – love shopping? Wellington is renowned for great shoe shopping. Walk the “Golden Mile” of Lambton Quay.
- Cafes, bars and restaurants – of course I’m biased, but I think Wellington has the best ‘entertainment’ culture in NZ. We have more restaurants and bars per capita than anywhere else in NZ, and are pretty good at making coffee too. Be sure to check out WBC, Charley Nobel, Dragon Fly and Logan Brown for Dinner.
Written by Rachel Robertson, Vice President NZARBP